Tuesday, June 30, 2009

No Air, No Brakes, No Go!

I've got the bus locked up now because after removing the seats, there are little spikes of screws sticking up and I don't want anyone getting hurt. Speaking of getting hurt, most insurance companies I've contacted, want to put the bus on a commercial policy which costs more than the price of the bus. So here I sit, with a bus body like a Sherman tank and the actuaries tell us that it's dangerous! I guess you could go to war with this kind of bus. Maybe I should go buy a turret mounted 30 Cal machine gun to mount on top of this

death machine. I wonder if I could take it to Afghanistan or maybe sell it to the drug cartels in Mexico? This sucker is a mean machine ready to take on any road rage you got goin. Talkin on your cell phone and not minding the road near me? Watch out man, you are in trouble. Oh yea, forgot to mention that I also have a PA system built in with speakers located in front. You want to talk trash and get in my way? You want to flip me off? Watch out, I'm driving a big diesel with a Bluebird body. You're in trouble messin with me. If you hear a badass scream coming from somewhere, listen up to the front of my yellow wonder. Don't even think about it or go down that road, you will be easily crushed.


The weather has been brutal lately. It's been over 100 with high humidity. I'm still working on the yellow beast but for short periods of time. No one likes to work in this kind of heat. No one likes to work in the bitter cold. I've done both and what I've come to realize is that they are somewhat equal. Whether it be cold or exceptionally warm, you have to slow down. You have to compromise with nature and not fight it. Walk slow, drink water and stay focused on reality. It's not the time to prove yourself when it's 100 F. and the humidity is around 90%. The time to get things done now is like 7:00 AM till about 10:AM. Then, you have to go into that slow mode.

They say that the heat in Arizona is not that bad because it's dry heat. That's a crock of shit. When you have your arm out the window down there, it feels like a hair dryer on your skin. No matter what, dry or humid, when the temp in Arizona is like 110 F. plus, it's fuckin hot. Lots of white colored cars down there and for a good reason. Dry heat is better? I don't think so. Maybe if it's 80 F it may be better but in real heat, it's just as miserable. It's like real cold weather. When it's 20 below zero or 10 below zero, it doesn't matter. It's freezing. No getting around it. Your windshields freeze up with moisture, the streets are slick and you walk like you are walking on ice. Well, it's because it probably is ice. Little kids complain that their fingers hurt. It's a hassle. Take the jacket and three other layers off when you go inside and back on again for outside. Why can't it all be like San Diego? I wish.


My largest concern at this time is the brake problem. You see, with air brakes, if you have no air pressure (which I don't) the bus cannont be moved. It's the built in safety factor. You lose pressure, you no go nowhere noway no how. I don't want this to become the old bus that rusted away in someone else's driveway and had to be towed. I've vowed to learn how to fix it. Luckily, the components are mechanical and I don't need a computer programmer from NASA to figure it out. Nevertheless, I do need some expertise that I lack. The never ending joys of learning eh? So I've posted some questions on the net and did receive an answer. I followed directions and did get the compressor to pump up a little more than before but still, it's not working properly. I received another answer yesterday, online, that said these compressors are indestructible and that my problem, most likely, was something other than a complete new compressor. That made me feel a lot better. I decided to replace the regulator and was very excited, thinking positively but to no avail, it still didn't work. Time to call a mechanic. Time for an expert. I know I can rebuild the compressor been there done that but before I tackle that agenda, I'd like to identify the real problem. Yes, time for a teacher; a diesel guru. One of those guys who could take the motor apart blindfolded since birth. I'm patiently waiting for him to call me back.


I was working in the hot hot southern sun yesterday but fell to the heat. I was light headed and couldn't think. I rushed into the house and drank some Gatorade, sat under the fan and cooled down. What I was seeing, while disassembling the compressor hoses was not correct. It was an illusion. I knew it too. Be wary of what you see while dizzy in the heat. I knew that. After cooling down and rehydrating, I went back out and part of the problem was obvious. What appeared to be three hoses was actually two. Where did the third one come from? That answer comes from a brain on too little fluids. Too hot, too much sun, brain shuts down, need electrolytes, not good. Answer: As I said before: Work in the coolness of the morning. I have maxed out my intelligence dealing with the air brake system. No use spending more time on it when I can hire a professional. Back to working on cleaning out the remaining small bit of old floor. Then, on to the roof to waterproof with a reflective white paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment